a girl's best friend. . .

a girl's best friend. . .

When do you dine out?

Monday, February 8, 2010

Steak & Potatoes

Good Monday!

I was all set to post my recipe for French Toast today. There are two reasons why I've not, I need bread, and I have my heart set on making dinner for my husband. So tonight, I'm in the process of making Steak and Potatoes. Specifically, Steak in wine sauce, and red potatoes.

I obtained the recipes and configured some shortcuts into them.


Steak in Wine Sauce
Ingredients:

2 steaks
2 tbsp olive oil
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tspn ground pepper
1 tspn ground paprika
1 tspn salt
1 1/2 tspn ground mustard or mustar powder (you can use regular mustard)
1 1/2 tspn garlic powder
3 tbspn olive oil
1/2 c dry red wine (I used Woodbridge Merlot 2007)
1 cup sliced mushrooms (I use canned or pre-packaged mushrooms)

Directions
1. add 2 tbspns olive oil, cayenne pepper, ground pepper, paprika, salt, mustard, garlic together to make a paste
2. poke steaks with fork and rub them with paste
(wrap steaks in wax paper and let paste marinate)
3. Heat a large skillet over high heat and add 3 tbsp of olive oil. Heat oil until smoking, then sear the steaks until outside has browned. 2-3 mins each side.
4. Remove steak w/tongs. Pour wine into skillet, bring to boil, while scraping skillet bottom w/wooden spoon.
5. Stir in mushrooms, cook & stir until mushrooms release liquid (about 5 mins)
6. Return steaks to the skillet on top of mushroom-wine sauce.
7. Reduce to low and cook until sauce reduces and thickens, about 5 mins. Remove steaks, plate, and pour mushroom sauce over steaks.

Red Potatoes

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup small red potatoes cut into quarters
1 small onion quartered (I omitted)
1/4 c olive oil
1 1/2 tspn dried crushed rosemary
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 tspn garlic
-I subbed the rosemary for basil, parsley, and a bit of tarragon. I also used 3 garlic cloves, minced.

Directions:
1. in a bowl, combine potatoes and all ingredients
2. toss to coat, or stir with wooden spoon
3. transfer to a foil-lined pan
4. bake uncovered at 425 degrees for 25-30 mins.
5. place in bowl and serve

-I'll be serving wine and croissants to accompany dinner

*Verdict: Dinner was delicious. I think I used one clove too many for the potatoes, but it was still good though. Now for the garlic smell that has infiltrated my home....time to burn oils.


2 comments: